Pasta doesn’t belong on the low carb menu.
The carb content of spaghetti rules out several famous Italian dishes, including carbonara.
People are creative, though, and a large variety of low-carb carbonara recipes have sprung up across the web.
These recipes usually make use of an alternate ‘noodle’ such as zoodles (made from zucchini) or enoki (string) mushrooms.
This recipe is a little different, though. Different because actually, there is no noodle substitute – just a bunch of great food mixed and melted together!
I’ve always loved the idea of carbonara; bacon, eggs and cream mixed together – what could be better than that?
The answer: adding some chives and melting lots of cheese into it.
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 fl oz (60g) heavy cream
- 1.5 oz (42g) Parmesan cheese*
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup (48g) chives
- 1/4 lb (127g) mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Italian Herbs
- Pepper (to taste)
* Mature Parmesan gives the best flavor.
1. Fry the bacon until slightly crispy.
2. Add chopped mushrooms, chives, and onion and fry until done.
3. Drain the mixture to remove any excess liquid from the vegetables and put to one side.
4. Whip the heavy cream, egg yolk, herbs, and pepper together until thick.
5. Add the sauce mixture to the bacon and vegetables – stir in on a medium heat.
6. When done, take off the heat and add parmesan cheese. Stir in until fully melted.
7. Serve, eat, and enjoy!
Below you will find the nutrition facts for this recipe.
All information is based on the amounts listed in the ingredients section.
Calories and Macronutrients
Calories: 810 Carbohydrate: 31.4g (14%) Fat: 57.4g (64%) Protein: 42.3g (22%)
Low-carb cream carbonara is surprisingly nutrient-dense.
It has an excellent range of vitamins and minerals, a decent amount of fibrous carbohydrate, lots of natural fat, and a good portion of complete protein.
But the main (and last) thing: it tastes great!
Want More Low Carb Bacon Recipes?